Okra Texas Hill Country Red
Hill Country Red okra seeds mature to 6 feet tall and is a good producer of thick green pods tinted with red at their ends and stems. Pods are deeply ribbed and have a firm texture with light yellow seeds inside. Okra seeds thrive in the heat and are 6” long when fully mature, but are most tender when picked at 2-3” long. They gain their deep red tint as they mature. Harvest often to keep them coming.
- Latin Name: Abelmoschus esculentus
- Days to Maturity: 60-70
- Days to Germination: 4-14
- Seeding Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 18-24"
- Row Spacing: 36"
- Plant Height: 36-60"
- Growth Habit: Bushy upright
- Soil Preference: Rich, loamy, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 75-90 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Hill Country Red Color: Lightly greened pods with a dark red tint
- Hill Country Red Flavor: Sweet, herbal, grassy notes